Back pain: don’t take it lying down!
Tips for Preventing Low Back Pain
- Stay active.Try walking for 10 to 15 minutes a day-and aim to increase to at least 30 minutes!
- Increase your strength, balance, and flexibility. Do exercises that are designed to strengthen your back and maintain flexibility, such as yoga.
- Do your best to maintain a healthy weight. For people overweight, losing even a few pounds can help
- Take breaks instead of sitting for a long time. Stand up or change your position and try stretching for a few seconds. If you can, walk around for a couple of minutes.
- Give up smoking. If you smoke or use tobacco, it’s important to know that a smoker is twice as likely as a non-smoker to have low back pain.
- Reduce the chance that you might fall and hurt your back. Clear away things on the floor and steps that could make you trip. Wear shoes or slippers with non-slip soles.
Get more tips at What works for managing chronic pain.